In many of our stores you will find yogurts, kefir’s, and other dairy products that claim to contain probiotics. I am here to share with you the importance of adding these friendly bacteria to your diet, as well as remind you that any product that has been pasteurized is not going to contain probiotics. Once any food containing these healthy bacteria is heated, the “healthy” bacteria die. This is why I like to make my own. If you are looking for a strong and inexpensive probiotic recipe, learn how you can make your own coconut water kefir packed full of ” probiotic goodness” in four simple steps here!
What are probiotics?
Why should you add probiotics to your families diet?
Let me share with you 10 reasons why you might want to start learning more about probiotics and how they can improve the health of your family as well as share some great resources below:
- The average American consumes 150-170 pounds of sugar a year. Yikes! Broken down daily, that equals 13 1/2 Tbsp. a day. (170 lbs. x 29.03 (Tbsp. sugar in 1 lbs) = 4,935.1/ 365 days= 13.5 Tbsp) There are 16 Tbsp. in a cup. This tells me that some of us are eating almost a whole cup of refined sugar daily. And guess what sugar feeds on, the bad bacteria in your gut. They love it!
- Many diseases start in our guts ( “All disease begins in the gut.” – Hippocrates). This is precisely why it is so important that we take care of our gut. When we have a compromised immune system, it creates a breeding ground for disease.
- Probiotics are our friends! They help us to be healthy and strong by balancing our gut flora ( 85% of your gut should consist of “good” bacteria, and the other 15% pathogenic bacteria in order to be in balance.
- Many of us have taken antibiotics over the years, and perhaps to much. Yes, antibiotics to kill that bad bacteria, but they also kill the “good bacteria” too.
- A strong immune system starts in your gut. Eighty percent of your immune system resides in your gut. When we have a compromised immune system, it creates a breeding ground for disease.
- They have linked a healthy gut to a healthy brain. Therefore, it’s not only good for your physical health but mental health as well.
- Probiotics aid in good digestion which improves your overall health.
- They will keep you regular, and who doesn’t like to feel a little lighter on their feet!
- They help fight off candida and help keep yeast infections at bay.
- When we feel healthy, we interact better with those around us!
You don’t have to break the bank to take probiotics!
There are several ways you can get this healthy bacteria in your body. Many people ferment food. This is a lost art here in our country, but is very common in Northern Europe and Japan. You can ferment your own vegetables, and dairy products. You don’t have to buy high dollar products in your local health food store to keep your family healthy. Below I will list some other great resources so you can learn more about probiotic health! Also, stay tuned for other probiotic recipes!